Skip to main content

Featured

WHY MANY BUSINESSES ARE NOT SURVIVING IN NIGERIA

HOW THE EMPLOYEES ATTITUDES, POOR CUSTOMER SERVICE AND THE MENTALITY OF     “JUST WAITING FOR SALARY” CAN DESTROY A BUSINESS Reading Time: 14–16 minutes Category: Business and Entrepreneurship Last Updated: September 2026 Author: Naija Hustle Hub Online A business owner can provide the capital, rent the shop, buy the equipment and bring customers through the door but if the people running the business do not care about its success, the business can slowly bleed money until there is nothing left to save. Nigeria is one of the most challenging environments in which to build and maintain a business, I am not saying this to scare away investors no, but we need to do something about the people we employ to look after our businesses, even though the economy is contributing to the out but looking into what our employees do in our business will really help and reduce the speed in which businesses close. Entrepreneurs face high operating costs, unreliable infrastructure, limited access...

How I Lost $3,200 in Bitcoin in Dubai—and Never Recovered It

How I Lost $3,200 in a Bitcoin Transaction in Dubai and Never Recovered It

Transparency Note: 

This article contains a first-person account of a cryptocurrency transaction that occurred in 2018. The events described are based on my personal recollection and records available to me. General information about cryptocurrency transactions, fraud prevention, and Nigerian regulatory processes is presented separately and should not be interpreted as legal or financial advice.

Important Date Context:

The personal experience described in this article occurred in 2018. Cryptocurrency regulation, platforms, transaction practices, and fraud-reporting mechanisms have changed since then. The Nigerian regulatory and consumer-protection information in this article is presented separately and reflects the information reviewed for this 2026 publication update.

Read Time: 10 - 15 Minutes

Last Updated: August 15, 2026

Last Reviewed: August 13, 2026

Last Fact-Checked: August 15, 2026

Author and Publication: NaijaHustle Hub Online

Editorial review: NaijaHustle Hub Online Editorial Team

Category: Personal Experience and Educational Guidance 

Table of Contents

  1. A Personal Experience from Dubai to Nigeria
  2. The Bitcoin Transaction
  3. The Excuses Started
  4. The Decision to Return to Nigeria
  5. Tracking Him Down
  6. When the Police Took Him Into Custody
  7. Inside the Police Station
  8. The Beginning of Another Disappointment
  9. The Hard Lessons I Learned
    • Don't Rely on Trust Alone
    • Preserve Your Evidence
    • Reporting a Dispute Does Not Guarantee Recovery
    • Recovery Efforts Can Be Costly
    • Don't Let Emotions Drive Your Decisions
  10. What I Would Do Differently Today
  11. What to Do If You Become a Victim of a Crypto Scam
  12. What You Should NOT Do After a Crypto Scam
  13. Beware of Cryptocurrency Recovery Scams
  14. Why I Am Sharing This Story
  15. What This Article Is Based On
  16. Nigerian Regulatory and Consumer Resources
  17. Frequently Asked Questions
  • Is cryptocurrency trading legal in Nigeria?
  • What is escrow in cryptocurrency trading?
  • How can I avoid crypto-related fraud?
  • Should I send cryptocurrency before receiving payment?
  • What should I do if I become a victim of fraud?
  • Can a Bitcoin transaction be reversed?
  • How can I document a crypto dispute?
  • Can a blockchain transaction be traced?
  • Can a bank reverse a cryptocurrency transaction?
  • What is the difference between a transaction record and proof of identity?
  • Does a Bitcoin transaction prove who owns a wallet?
  • Does using escrow guarantee that I will get my money back?
  • Can police recover cryptocurrency?
  • Where can Nigerians seek legitimate financial or legal guidance?

  1. Final Thoughts
  2. Disclaimer
  3. Corrections
  4. About NaijaHustle Hub Online

A Personal Experience from Dubai to Nigeria

In 2018, while living and working in Dubai, I lost approximately $3,200 worth of Bitcoin in a transaction with a Nigerian buyer.

The Bitcoin transfer went through.

The payment never came.

What followed was a long and frustrating attempt to recover the money involving repeated promises, a return to Nigeria, police involvement, and a repayment agreement that ultimately produced nothing.

I am sharing this story because the biggest lesson was not simply that I lost money. It was that recovering money after a disputed cryptocurrency transaction can be far more complicated than making the transaction itself.

Quick Answer

I lost approximately $3,200 worth of Bitcoin in 2018 after transferring the cryptocurrency to a buyer who did not make the agreed payment. Despite attempting to resolve the dispute through communication, police involvement, and a repayment agreement, I never recovered the money. The experience taught me the importance of transaction safeguards, evidence preservation, counterparty verification, and acting quickly when a financial dispute occurs.

Key Takeaways

  • Never rely solely on trust when conducting cryptocurrency transactions.
  • Use platforms with appropriate transaction protections where available.
  • Keep screenshots, wallet addresses, transaction IDs, and communication records.
  • Recovering money after a disputed transaction can be difficult and time-consuming.
  • Personal experience should not replace professional legal or financial advice.

The Bitcoin Transaction

In 2018, I decided to sell some Bitcoin.

After making inquiries, I connected with a Nigerian buyer who was interested in purchasing my cryptocurrency.

We negotiated the exchange rate and eventually reached an agreement.

Everything appeared normal.

The buyer seemed professional and trustworthy. After discussing the details, I transferred approximately $3,200 in Bitcoin to the wallet address he provided.

Once the transaction was completed and confirmed on the blockchain, I forwarded my bank account details to him so he could send the agreed payment in Naira.

At that point, I believed the deal was done.

I expected the money to arrive within the timeframe he had promised.

Unfortunately, that was where the problem began.

The Excuses Started

After the agreed payment period elapsed, my account remained empty.

No alert.

No transfer.

No payment.

I contacted him.

He apologized and claimed there were minor issues that would soon be resolved.

I gave him more time.

Days turned into weeks.

Weeks turned into months.

The excuses became more creative.

Sometimes he claimed there were banking issues.

Other times he claimed he was trying to raise funds.

On some occasions, he simply stopped responding.

At first, I tried to remain calm.

I believed there was still a chance he would honor the agreement.

But after waiting for more than two months without receiving a single kobo, based on what happened and the fact that I never received the agreed payment, I came to believe that I had been defrauded.

The Decision to Return to Nigeria

At that time, I was still living in Dubai.

$3,200 was a significant amount of money for me.

Losing $3,200 was painful.

I felt angry, frustrated, and determined to recover what belonged to me.

The more I thought about it, the more I convinced myself that returning to Nigeria was the best option.

I believed that once the authorities became involved, the matter would be resolved quickly.

Looking back now, I realize I underestimated how complicated things could become.

I was focused entirely on recovering my money.

I never stopped to consider the challenges that might arise during the process.

Tracking Him Down

The first challenge was finding him.

Since he was not cooperating, I needed reliable information about his whereabouts.

With assistance from a lady who helped gather information, we eventually located him.

The next step was arranging a meeting.

The lady maintained communication with him and eventually convinced him to meet.

Without knowing what awaited him, he agreed.

He even arranged a location where they could spend time together.

Everything was set.

And a meeting was arranged with law-enforcement officers.

The Unexpected Arrest

On the agreed day, the meeting took place.

However, instead of finding only the lady waiting for him, he found something entirely different.

I appeared alongside police officers.

According to my recollection, the police took him into custody following the meeting.

To say he was shocked would be an understatement.

I presented the transaction records and explained that I had transferred the Bitcoin but had not received the agreed payment.

According to my recollection, he was taken into custody, and the matter was discussed at the police station.

For the first time in months, I felt hopeful.

I believed justice was finally within reach.

After all, I had evidence of the transaction.

The Bitcoin transfer was verifiable.

The communication records existed.

I thought the difficult part was over.

Unfortunately, I was wrong.

Inside the Police Station

At the station, I was asked a simple question:

"What exactly do you want?"

My answer was straightforward.

I did not ask for extra money.

I did not ask for compensation.

I did not even ask for payment based on the current Bitcoin market price, which had changed significantly.

All I wanted was the value we originally agreed upon.

Nothing more.

Nothing less.

The discussions continued.

Eventually, an agreement was reached.

To my recollection, the person involved agreed to repay the amount through a weekly repayment plan.

Since he claimed he could not pay everything immediately, a repayment plan was established.

According to the arrangement, he would make payments every week until the debt was fully settled.

Everyone seemed satisfied.

The police appeared satisfied.

The suspect appeared relieved.

I believed the matter had finally been resolved.

The Beginning of Another Disappointment

After leaving the station, I expected the weekly payments to begin.

But once again, the excuses returned.

Each week brought a new story.

Whenever I contacted the police to follow up, there always seemed to be another explanation.

Another delay.

Another promise.

Another reason why payment had not been made.

Days became weeks.

Weeks became months.

Months became years.

Despite all the meetings, agreements, promises, and police involvement, I never received a single kobo of the money owed to me.

Not one kobo.

The repayment plan existed only on paper.

In reality, nothing happened.

The Hard Lessons I Learned

This experience taught me several important lessons.

1. Don't Rely on Trust Alone

Not every legitimate cryptocurrency transaction necessarily involves escrow.

One of the biggest mistakes I made was relying solely on trust.

In cryptocurrency transactions, escrow services exist for a reason.

What escrow does

Escrow is designed to temporarily hold an asset or payment during a transaction until the platform’s required conditions are satisfied. Instead of one party immediately handing over everything based purely on trust, the escrow mechanism provides an additional layer between the parties.

The important point is that escrow is not the same as a guarantee that you cannot be defrauded. Its effectiveness depends on the platform’s rules, dispute process, security measures, and whether users follow those rules correctly.

Why escrow reduces counterparty risk

Counterparty risk is the possibility that the person or organization on the other side of a transaction does not fulfill its obligation.

Escrow can reduce this risk because the transaction does not necessarily depend entirely on one party keeping its promise. A platform may hold the relevant asset or payment while certain conditions are being met.

However, escrow does not eliminate risk completely. Users can still encounter fake payment evidence, account compromise, fraudulent disputes, platform errors, or transactions that fall outside the platform’s protection rules.

Why readers should understand the platform’s rules

Different platforms have different definitions of what qualifies for protection, when disputes can be opened, what evidence is accepted, and when an escrowed transaction can be completed or reversed.

Readers should therefore understand the platform’s official terms before relying on its protection.

A common mistake anyone can make is assuming:

“The platform uses escrow, so they are automatically protected.”

That assumption can be dangerous. Protection may depend on following the platform’s procedures and keeping appropriate evidence.

Why screenshots or promises aren’t enough

A screenshot claiming that a payment has been made is not necessarily proof that the money has actually been received. Screenshots can be edited, manipulated, taken from another transaction, or otherwise misleading.

Similarly, a message saying “ I have paid” or “the money is on the way” is only a claim.

The safer principle is to rely on independently verifiable information provided through the appropriate platform or financial account, rather than releasing an asset simply because the other party provides a screenshot or makes a promise.

Why transaction records should be retained

Keeping transaction records creates an evidence trail if something goes wrong.

Depending on the platform and transaction, useful records may include relevant transaction details, platform messages, receipts, timestamps, dispute correspondence, and other legitimate documentation.

These records can help establish what happened, when it happened, and what communication took place. They can also be important when reporting suspected fraud or resolving a dispute.

They help protect both buyers and sellers.

2. Preserve Your Evidence

Fortunately, I had records of the transaction.

Without documentation, proving ownership or payment obligations can become extremely difficult.

When a financial dispute occurs, preserving accurate records can make it much easier to establish what happened. The goal is to maintain an objective evidence trail, rather than relying on memory or isolated screenshots.

Records worth preserving are:

  • Transaction IDs: Keep the unique reference or transaction number associated with the transaction. This can help identify a specific transaction when communicating with a platform, bank, or other relevant service.
  • Wallet addresses: For cryptocurrency-related disputes, preserve the relevant wallet addresses exactly as they appeared in the transaction records. Avoid altering or retyping them when evidence can be preserved directly.
  • Dates and times: Record when important events occurred, including payments, transfers, communications, and dispute submissions. Where possible, retain the original timestamps shown by the relevant platform.
  • Screenshots: Screenshots can preserve what was displayed on a platform at a particular time. However, they should be treated as supporting evidence rather than automatically assuming they prove that a payment was completed.
  • Invoices or agreements: Keep invoices, contracts, receipts, order confirmations, or other documents showing what the parties originally agreed to.
  • Bank records: Preserve relevant bank statements, transaction references, receipts, or account records that independently show whether money actually moved.
  • Relevant messages: Keep important conversations with the other party, particularly messages concerning payment, delivery, cancellation, disagreement, or promises made during the transaction.
  • Emails: Preserve relevant emails, including correspondence with the other party, financial institution, platform, or dispute-resolution team.
  • Platform dispute records: If a dispute was opened through a platform, retain the case number, submitted evidence, platform responses, decisions, and other correspondence connected with the case.

Keep the evidence in its original context. 

A good record-keeping approach should allow someone reviewing the matter to understand:

What was agreed before the transaction  what happened later when it happened  what evidence to prove it → the response that was received.

This is particularly important because individual pieces of evidence can be misleading when viewed in isolation. A screenshot, for example, may show what appeared on a screen, while a bank or platform record may provide independent evidence of what actually occurred.

3. Reporting a Dispute Does Not Guarantee Recovery

Many people focus on avoiding scams.

Few people talk about how difficult it can be to recover funds once they are lost.

Even when evidence exists, the recovery process may be long, stressful, and expensive.

4. Recovery Efforts Can Be Costly

My experience taught me that reporting a dispute and actually recovering funds are two different things.

5. Don't Let Emotions Drive Your Decisions

Anger and frustration can push people into making decisions quickly.

Looking back, I spent significant time, energy, and resources pursuing this matter.

While I do not regret standing up for myself, I learned that every recovery effort comes with its own costs.

What I would do differently today

  1. I would use a reputable transaction mechanism with appropriate protections.
  2. I would verify the counterparty more thoroughly.
  3. I would document every part of the transaction.
  4. I would establish the payment terms in writing.
  5. I would seek appropriate professional advice sooner if a serious dispute occurred.
  6. Act quickly if something goes wrong.
  7. Keep the transaction ID, wallet addresses, and communications.
  8. Never rely on a screenshot as proof of payment.

What to Do If You Become a Victim of a Crypto Scam

  1. Stop communicating unnecessarily with the suspected scammer.
  2. Do not send additional money.
  3. Preserve transaction records.
  4. Save wallet addresses and transaction IDs.
  5. Contact the relevant exchange/platform.
  6. Notify your bank if a bank/payment transaction is involved.
  7. Report suspected fraud through appropriate authorities.
  8. Secure compromised accounts.
  9. Consider professional legal advice for substantial losses.
  10. Be alert for recovery scams.

What You Should NOT Do After a Crypto Scam

  • Don't send additional money to the suspected scammer.
  • Don't pay an unknown recovery agent an upfront fee without verification.
  • Don't give anyone your seed phrase or private key.
  • Don't delete messages.
  • Don't alter evidence.
  • Don't publish private information online.
  • Don't give strangers remote access to your device.
  • Don't assume a blockchain address automatically proves someone's identity.

Beware of Cryptocurrency Recovery Scams

People who lose cryptocurrency often become vulnerable to a second scam, because someone may contact the victim claiming to be:

  • a blockchain investigator
  • a hacker
  • a recovery specialist
  • a lawyer
  • a government agent
  • an exchange employee

They may promise to recover the cryptocurrency for an upfront fee.

I advise everyone to be extremely cautious.

Never provide your seed phrase, private key, password, OTP, exchange login credentials, or remote access to your device to someone claiming they can recover your crypto.

Why I Am Sharing This Story

I am sharing this experience because many Nigerians are entering cryptocurrency trading every day.

Digital assets offer opportunities, but they also come with risks.

Behind every successful transaction are stories of losses, fraud, mistakes, and painful lessons.

If my experience helps even one person avoid a similar situation, then sharing it is worthwhile.

What This Article Is Based On

  • The transaction described is based on my personal recollection.
  • Transaction records and communications were part of my experience.
  • Statements about what happened at the police station reflect my recollection.
  • The article does not independently verify the other party’s intentions or circumstances.

Final Thoughts

When I transferred Bitcoin worth $3,200, I believed I was conducting a straightforward business transaction.

I never imagined it would lead to months of frustration, international travel, police involvement, endless promises, and ultimately no recovery.

Today, I still remember that experience.

Not because of the money alone.

But because of the lessons it taught me about trust, due diligence, and the importance of protecting yourself before entering any financial transaction.

If there is one lesson I hope readers take from my experience, it is to protect themselves before a transaction is carried out, not after it goes wrong.

Sometimes the most expensive lessons are the ones we never planned to learn.

Frequently Asked Questions 

Is cryptocurrency trading legal in Nigeria?

Cryptocurrency regulations continue to evolve. Traders should always stay informed about current laws and regulatory guidelines before engaging in crypto transactions.

How can I avoid crypto-related fraud?

Use reputable exchanges, verify identities, maintain transaction records, avoid pressure tactics, and utilize escrow services whenever possible.

Should I send cryptocurrency before receiving payment?

That depends on the platform and protections available. Peer-to-peer transactions should ideally use secure escrow systems rather than relying solely on trust.

What should I do if I become a victim of fraud?

Document all evidence, preserve communications, report the matter through appropriate legal channels, and seek professional legal advice where necessary.

Can a Bitcoin transaction be reversed?

Generally, no. Once a Bitcoin transaction has been confirmed and recorded on the blockchain, it cannot simply be cancelled or reversed like a bank transfer. Bitcoin.org states that a Bitcoin transaction cannot be reversed; a refund can only come from the person or entity that received the funds.

There is an important distinction between an unconfirmed or pending transaction and a confirmed transaction. Once the transaction is confirmed, the practical remedy is usually to obtain a refund from the recipient, have an exchange intervene where possible, or pursue recovery through an investigation or legal process.

Sending Bitcoin to the wrong address or to a scammer does not normally give you a blockchain-based "undo" button.

How can I document a crypto dispute?

The safest way is to create a complete, chronological evidence file rather than relying on one screenshot or message.

Preserve the:

  • Transaction ID and, where relevant, the blockchain/network involved.
  • The relevant wallet addresses, copied exactly as they appear in the transaction records.
  • The date and time of the transaction and important communications between you and the buyer.
  • Screenshots showing relevant information, while remembering that screenshots alone may not establish that a payment actually occurred.
  • Bank statements, transfer receipts, or other financial records showing relevant fiat payments.
  • Invoices, agreements, receipts, or other documents showing what was agreed.
  • Relevant chats, emails, and platform messages.
  • The platform’s escrow/dispute case number, submitted evidence, responses, and final decision.

Do not alter, fabricate, or selectively edit evidence. Keep original files where possible and make a backup.

The purpose is to create a record that allows an independent reviewer to reconstruct what was agreed, what happened, when it happened, and what evidence supports each side.

Nigeria’s SEC currently maintains a register for checking regulated operators and has rules covering digital-asset activities, including Digital Asset Exchanges. This makes it particularly important to identify the platform involved and determine what regulatory status and complaint mechanisms apply to it. 

I suggest everyone should verify the current position directly with the SEC because regulations and registered entities can change.

Can a blockchain transaction be traced?

Yes, especially on public blockchains such as Bitcoin. Bitcoin transactions are recorded on a public ledger, meaning investigators and members of the public can examine transaction histories using blockchain explorers and other analytical tools.

However, tracing a transaction is not necessarily the same as identifying the person behind the wallet. A blockchain address is generally pseudonymous rather than automatically displaying the owner's name.

Investigators can sometimes connect an address to a real person or organization through additional evidence, such as exchange records, KYC information, communications, device evidence, and transaction patterns.

The bottom line is that crypto may be difficult to identify at first, but public-blockchain transactions can leave a permanent trail.

How a blockchain explorer can help:

A blockchain explorer can allow users to inspect publicly visible transaction information, depending on the blockchain involved.

You can generally examine:

  • transaction status
  • sending address
  • receiving address
  • amount
  • block/time information

But importantly:

Blockchain confirmation does not prove that the person behind the wallet is the person you believe they are.

Can a bank reverse a cryptocurrency transaction?

Usually, a bank cannot directly reverse a completed cryptocurrency transaction on the blockchain. Once crypto has been transferred and confirmed on a public blockchain, the bank does not control that blockchain and generally cannot simply erase the transaction.

However, there is an important distinction between:

  • the cryptocurrency transaction itself, and
  • the bank/payment transaction used to purchase or send money for the cryptocurrency.

If money was taken from your bank account without authorization, you should immediately notify your bank and ask about its fraud/dispute procedures. Whether a bank can reverse or recover the underlying fiat payment depends on the payment method, circumstances, and applicable rules.

In Nigeria, the CBN currently regulates how banks interact with Virtual Asset Service Providers (VASPs). Its guidelines recognize VASPs within the regulatory framework while stating that banks and other financial institutions are prohibited from holding, trading, or transacting in virtual currencies on their own account.

What is the difference between a transaction record and proof of identity?

They establish different things.

A transaction record provides evidence about a particular financial event. Depending on the situation, it might include a transaction reference, blockchain transaction ID, wallet address, amount, date and time, bank reference, or platform order number.

Proof of identity, on the other hand, establishes who a person is. Examples can include an officially issued identity document or other identification information requested through an appropriate verification process.

For example, a blockchain transaction may show that cryptocurrency moved between two wallet addresses. The wallet address itself does not automatically prove the real-world identity of the person controlling it.

Likewise, an identity document may establish who someone is, but it does not by itself prove that they made a particular payment.

This distinction is important when documenting a dispute: evidence of a transaction and evidence of a person’s identity should not be treated as interchangeable.

Also, avoid unnecessarily sharing identity documents with strangers or posting them publicly. If identity verification is genuinely required, use the relevant institution’s official channel.

Does a Bitcoin transaction prove who owns a wallet?

No. A Bitcoin transaction can show that funds moved from one address to another, but the blockchain does not automatically reveal the real-world identity of the person controlling either address. Additional evidence, such as exchange records, KYC information, communications, or other investigative evidence, may be required to connect a wallet address to a particular person.

Does using escrow guarantee that I will get my money back?

No. Escrow can reduce counterparty risk, but it does not guarantee recovery. Protection depends on the platform, its rules, dispute procedures, security controls, and the circumstances of the transaction. Fake escrow services can also be used in scams, so users should independently verify that they are dealing with the legitimate platform.

Can police recover cryptocurrency?

Yes, cryptocurrency can sometimes be traced, frozen, seized, and recovered, but recovery is not guaranteed.

The fact that cryptocurrency was stolen does not automatically mean that investigators can return it to the victim. Recovery may depend on factors such as:

  • Whether the funds can be traced.
  • Whether investigators can identify or attribute the relevant wallets.
  • Whether the cryptocurrency is still accessible.
  • Whether the funds have reached an exchange or other service.
  • Whether the relevant service can freeze the assets.
  • Whether law-enforcement or court processes can be used.
  • Whether the suspect or assets are located in another jurisdiction.

Blockchain analysis can help investigators follow cryptocurrency through multiple addresses. When funds reach regulated exchanges, KYC information may potentially help investigators connect blockchain activity with real-world identities.

Nigeria's regulatory environment also recognizes the role of digital-asset service providers. The SEC has a framework for Virtual Assets Service Providers, while the CBN has guidelines governing bank accounts operated by VASPs.

Nigeria's 2025 NFIU annual report also identifies cryptocurrency-enabled investment scams among fraud-related concerns, showing that crypto-related financial crime is an active enforcement issue.

The bottom line is that law enforcement may be able to help trace cryptocurrency and pursue recovery, but recovery is not guaranteed.

Where can Nigerians seek legitimate financial or legal guidance?

The appropriate organization depends on what went wrong and which institution is involved.

For regulated capital-market and digital-asset matters:
The Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) Nigeria⁠ is the key regulator to check for matters falling within its mandate. Its website provides a facility for checking registered operators, which can help consumers determine whether a platform or operator is registered.  

For complaints involving banks and other CBN-regulated financial institutions:

The Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) Consumer Protection Department⁠ provides a formal complaints process. The CBN says customers can escalate a complaint when the financial institution has failed to resolve it appropriately; their current contact information is cpd@cbn.gov.ng for complaints against financial institutions.  

Where the circumstances involve suspected financial or cyber-enabled fraud falling within its mandate, victims may also consider reporting the matter to the EFCC through its official channels.

For consumer-protection complaints:

The Federal Competition and Consumer Protection Commission (FCCPC)⁠ is another legitimate government avenue where the circumstances fall within its consumer-protection mandate. The FCCPC states that complaints should include details such as the party complained against, amount involved, expected redress, and supporting transaction documents.  

For legal advice:

Where the dispute involves significant financial loss, contractual issues, possible fraud, or potential court proceedings, consulting a qualified Nigerian lawyer is appropriate. People who cannot afford legal representation may also investigate assistance from the Legal Aid Council of Nigeria, which provides legal assistance to eligible people.  

Important distinction

A regulator, bank, consumer-protection agency, or lawyer cannot necessarily recover every cryptocurrency transaction. The appropriate avenue depends on the facts, the platform involved, the applicable terms, and the nature of the dispute.

For that reason, Nigerians should be cautious about anyone promising guaranteed recovery of lost cryptocurrency for an upfront fee. The CBN itself advises consumers to be cautious about scams and to verify organizations through their official channels.  

Sources and Further Reading

Sources are provided for the general cryptocurrency and fraud prevention information discussed in this article. The personal events described are based on my experience.

Disclaimer

This article reflects a personal experience and personal opinions. It is not intended as legal advice, financial advice, or a statement regarding any individual, institution, or organization. Experiences may differ, and readers are encouraged to seek professional legal or financial guidance when dealing with disputes, cryptocurrency transactions, or fraud-related matters.

This does not necessarily represent an independently verified finding concerning other parties.

Call to Action

Have you experienced a cryptocurrency dispute or online financial fraud? Do not post seed phrases, private keys, passwords, OTPs, bank account details, identity documents, wallet credentials, or other sensitive personal information. Your experience may help another reader recognize a warning sign before it becomes a costly mistake.

Corrections: 

If we identify a factual error in this article, we will correct it and, where appropriate, indicate the nature of the correction and the date it was made.

About: NaijaHustle Hub Online

NaijaHustle Hub Online is an independent Nigerian publication focused on business, technology, entrepreneurship, education, travel, careers, and public policy. We publish well-researched, evidence-based articles that simplify complex issues and help readers make informed decisions.

Comments