Featured
- Get link
- X
- Other Apps
How I Lost My Canadian Immigration Opportunity While Working in Dubai
How I Lost My Canadian Immigration Opportunity While Working in Dubai: My Personal Story
Reading Time: 10–12 minutes
Last Updated: July 30, 2026
Last Reviewed: July 30, 2026
Author: NaijaHustle Hub Online Editorial Team
Category: Japa, Immigration and Personal Stories
Table of Contents
My Life in Dubai and the Canadian Dream
Seven Months of Waiting
The Passport Request That Changed Everything
When I Realized I Could Not Access My Passport
Asking My Employer to Release My Passport
The Silence, Fear, and Ticking Clock
The Response That Came Too Late
The Deadline I Could Not Meet
The Cancellation Email
What Happened After the Cancellation
Why I Refused to Renew My Contract
What I Would Do Differently Today
Lessons I Learned From the Experience
What This Experience Means to Me Today
Frequently Asked Questions
A Message to Nigerians Pursuing the Japa Dream
Official Resources
Disclaimer
Final Thoughts
Call to Action
My Life in Dubai and the Canadian Dream
There are moments in life that stay with you forever.
After approximately seven months of waiting for my Canadian immigration application, I finally reached the passport-request stage. But there was one major problem: my passport was in the possession of my employer in Dubai.
Some experiences teach you valuable lessons. Others leave emotional scars that take years to heal. My failed journey to Canada is one of those experiences.
For many Nigerians, Canada represents hope, opportunity, career growth, and the possibility of building a better future. Like many other people pursuing the dream of relocating abroad, I also hoped that moving to Canada would allow me to start a new chapter of my life.
At the time, I was working in Dubai, United Arab Emirates.
Like many expatriates living and working abroad, I was constantly looking for ways to improve my career prospects and create a better future for myself.
Canada was one of the destinations I seriously considered. After researching my options, I decided to apply for a Canadian visitor visa through an immigration agent.
Government of Canada - How to apply for a visa
The process was not cheap.
There were application fees, documentation requirements, and countless hours spent gathering information and waiting for updates.
Despite the challenges, I remained hopeful.
I believed that if everything went according to plan, I would soon be preparing to leave Dubai and begin a new life in Canada.
I had no idea that the opportunity would eventually disappear because I could not access my own passport.
Key Lessons From My Experience
- Keep access to important personal documents.
- Take immigration deadlines seriously.
- Communicate early when a deadline is at risk.
- Keep written records of important requests.
- Know where to seek official help.
- Don't allow one setback to end your long-term plans.
Seven Months of Waiting
Anyone who has gone through an immigration or visa application knows that waiting can be one of the most difficult parts of the process.
Every day felt like a week.
Every week felt like a month.
For approximately seven months, I monitored my application and checked for updates whenever I could.
I was eager to receive good news.
During those months, I constantly imagined what life in Canada might look like.
Would I find a better job?
Would my quality of life improve?
Would I finally have the opportunity to build the future I had been working toward?
Would this be the breakthrough I had been praying for?
As the months passed, my anticipation continued to grow.
Then, after seven months of waiting, the email I had been hoping for finally arrived.
The Passport Request That Changed Everything
The Canadian immigration authorities requested my passport.
At the time, I understood the passport request as a major step toward completing my application. For applicants whose online applications are approved, IRCC explains that it sends instructions for submitting the passport, and the visa is placed in the passport before the person can travel to Canada.
I was overjoyed.
After months of waiting, it felt as though my Canadian dream was finally within reach.
I immediately started thinking about what would happen next.
I had waited for this moment for so long.
Unfortunately, I soon discovered that there was a serious problem.
The passport the Canadian authorities needed was not in my possession.
It was with my employer in Dubai.
Government of Canada - After you apply for a visitor visa
When I Realized I Could Not Access My Passport
At the time, my employer had possession of my passport.
I had originally handed over the document during my employment, and by the time I received the Canadian passport request, I needed it urgently to meet the submission deadline.
The Canadian authorities gave me approximately 30 days to submit my passport.
That deadline suddenly became extremely important.
I immediately informed my employer that I had received an immigration request and needed my passport.
I explained that I had to submit it within a specific timeframe.
I expected cooperation.
Instead, I encountered resistance.
The company refused to release my passport.
At that moment, I realized that the situation was much more serious than I initially thought.
Asking My Employer to Release My Passport
I did not simply sit and wait.
I followed the process available to me within the company.
I submitted a written request through the company's Public Relations Officer, asking management to release my passport so I could meet the Canadian immigration deadline.
I explained why I needed the document and how important the deadline was.
Then I waited.
Days turned into a week.
The week became two.
Still, I did not have my passport.
The situation became increasingly stressful because I knew that the Canadian immigration authorities had given me a limited period to submit the document.
Every day that passed made me more worried.
I kept hoping that my employer would eventually understand the urgency and release the passport.
But the response I was waiting for did not come quickly enough.
The Silence, Fear, and Ticking Clock
As the days passed, I became increasingly anxious.
I was young and unfamiliar with how to deal with a situation like this in the UAE.
I did not know exactly where to go for help or how to escalate the matter.
I also did not want to create unnecessary trouble at work.
At the same time, I did not want to lose the Canadian opportunity I had spent seven months waiting for.
I found myself trapped between two problems.
I could not get my passport from my employer, and I was not sure what steps I should take next.
Looking back today, one of my biggest regrets is that I did not contact IRCC immediately to explain what was happening.
I was so focused on getting my passport released that I kept thinking that if I could just get the document in time, everything would work out.
But the deadline was getting closer.
And I was running out of time.
The Response That Came Too Late
After about three weeks of trying to get my passport, I finally received a response from my company.
It was not the answer I was hoping for.
I was told that if I wanted my passport back, I would have to cancel my employment visa, which had less than three months remaining before its expiry.
I was also told that I would have to pay the full visa cost again if I took that route.
At that point, I was desperate.
I agreed.
I thought to myself, if paying the cost again is what it takes to get my passport back and save my Canadian opportunity, then I will do it.
I was prepared to make that sacrifice.
But even after I agreed, my passport was still not released.
That was when the situation became even more painful.
The Deadline I Could Not Meet
The deadline continued approaching.
I was waiting for my passport.
The Canadian immigration deadline was waiting for no one.
Eventually, the deadline passed.
I had not been able to submit my passport.
I was devastated.
I spent nights crying and praying that someone would understand what had happened.
I had not deliberately ignored the passport request.
I had not decided that I no longer wanted the opportunity.
I was simply unable to access the document I needed to complete the process.
I kept wishing that I had contacted the Canadian immigration authorities earlier to explain my circumstances.
I wondered whether they might have been able to tell me what options were available.
But by then, I had already missed the deadline.
The Cancellation Email
A few weeks later, another email arrived.
This time, it was not good news.
The Canadian authorities informed me that my application had been cancelled because I had failed to comply with the passport submission request.
Reading that email felt like someone had pulled the ground from beneath my feet.
Seven months of waiting.
Months of planning.
Months of hope.
All gone.
The hardest part was that I did not experience the situation as a straightforward refusal based on my eligibility.
The opportunity disappeared because I could not submit my passport within the required timeframe.
That distinction mattered deeply to me.
I had come so close, yet circumstances prevented me from taking the final step.
What Happened After the Cancellation
The cancellation affected me more deeply than I expected.
It was not just about losing an immigration opportunity.
It was about losing something I had spent months imagining.
I had already pictured myself leaving Dubai, travelling to Canada, starting over, finding better opportunities, and building a different future.
Suddenly, all of those plans were gone.
I felt helpless.
I felt frustrated.
I kept asking myself what I could have done differently.
Could I have escalated the passport issue earlier?
Should I have contacted the Canadian immigration authorities as soon as I realized there was a problem?
Should I have sought professional advice?
Those questions stayed with me.
Losing Motivation at Work
After receiving the cancellation notice, my attitude toward my job changed completely.
The company that had refused to release my passport had become closely connected, in my mind, with the opportunity I had lost.
Every day I went to work, I remembered what had happened.
I found it difficult to remain motivated.
The dream I had spent months pursuing had disappeared, and I struggled to separate that disappointment from my working environment.
Although only about two months remained on my employment contract, I had already made up my mind.
I did not want to continue with the company indefinitely.
Why I Refused to Renew My Contract
When my contract approached its expiration date, the company wanted me to renew.
Normally, renewing a job contract could be an easy decision.
After all, having employment provides income and stability.
But my experience had changed how I felt about staying.
I believed that remaining with an employer I felt had not supported me during such an important moment in my career would be difficult for me emotionally.
I therefore decided not to renew my contract.
Instead, I chose to cancel my employment visa and return to Nigeria.
It was not an easy decision.
Leaving a job without another opportunity already secured carries risks.
However, I felt that staying would constantly remind me of the opportunity I had lost.
Sometimes, peace of mind is worth more than a paycheck.
What I Would Do Differently Today
If I faced the same situation today, I would handle it very differently.
1. I Would Escalate the Passport Issue Earlier
I would not spend weeks simply hoping the problem would resolve itself.
I would seek information from the appropriate UAE authorities or a qualified employment professional as soon as I realized that I could not access my passport.
The UAE Ministry of Human Resources and Emiratisation (MoHRE) provides official channels for workers to raise labour complaints where there is an alleged breach of legal or contractual obligations.
MoHRE - How to File a Labour Complaint.
The UAE Government also states that possession of one's passport is an important employee right. If I faced the same situation today, I would seek official guidance much earlier.
UAE Government - Preparing to Work
2. I Would Contact the Canadian Immigration Authorities Immediately
If I faced the same situation today, I would contact IRCC through its official channels as soon as I realized that I might not meet the deadline and ask what options were available.
Government of Canada - Contact Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada
Today, Canadian immigration guidance confirms that passport submission is done only after IRCC requests it, and applicants are directed to the relevant visa application centre or other instructions provided by IRCC.
I cannot say whether contacting them earlier would have changed the outcome of my own case, but I know that I should have communicated the problem sooner.
3. I Would Document Everything
I would keep copies of every written request, email, response, and other relevant communication.
That would create a clear record of what happened and when.
4. I Would Seek Qualified Advice
Rather than trying to figure everything out alone, I would seek advice from an appropriately qualified immigration or employment professional.
That would have helped me understand my options before the deadline expired.
5. I Would Never Underestimate an Immigration Deadline
An immigration deadline should be treated as urgent from the moment it is received.
I would not wait until the final days before taking action.
Lessons I Learned From the Experience
Looking back today, this experience taught me several important lessons.
1. Understand How Your Important Documents Are Handled
Your passport is one of the most important personal documents you have when living abroad.
Before entering into an employment arrangement, understand how your important documents will be handled and what procedures apply to you.
The UAE Government advises workers to understand their employment rights and obligations and provides official information about job offers, contracts and work permits.
UAE Government - Job Offers, Work Permits and Contracts
2. Take Immigration Deadlines Seriously
If an immigration authority gives you a deadline, take it seriously from day one.
Do not assume that there will automatically be an extension.
If a problem arises, communicate with the relevant authority as early as possible.
3. Keep Records of Important Communications
Whenever an important issue arises at work or during an immigration process, document your communication.
Written records can help you establish what happened and when.
4. Know Where to Seek Help
When something goes wrong, fear and uncertainty can cause you to delay taking action.
I learned that knowing the appropriate authority or professional to contact can make a major difference.
5. Do Not Allow One Setback to Define Your Life
Losing the Canadian opportunity was painful, but it did not mean my life was over.
A missed opportunity can be devastating without being the end of your journey.
6. Protect Your Long-Term Goals
A job, visa, business opportunity, or immigration plan can all be important, but your long-term future deserves careful consideration.
My experience taught me to think more seriously about how employment decisions can affect other areas of my life.
What This Experience Means to Me Today
Years later, I still remember the disappointment.
Sometimes I wonder what my life would have looked like if I had successfully completed the process.
Would I be living in Canada today?
Would my career have taken a different direction?
Would my life have developed differently?
Those questions may never be answered.
But I refuse to allow one setback to define my future.
Instead, I choose to see the experience as a lesson in resilience.
Life does not always follow the plan we create.
Sometimes an opportunity disappears when we believe it is almost guaranteed.
What matters is what we do after the disappointment.
Frequently Asked Questions
Did your Canadian application reach the passport-request stage?
Yes. My application reached the passport-request stage, and I was instructed to submit my passport. Unfortunately, I could not obtain it from my employer within the required timeframe, and the application was subsequently cancelled.
For current Canadian immigration requirements, applicants should always verify information directly through the Government of Canada's official IRCC website.
Government of Canada -Immigration and Citizenship
Why couldn't you submit your passport?
My passport was in the possession of my employer in Dubai, and despite my attempts to have it released, I could not obtain it before the Canadian immigration deadline.
Did you try to get your passport back?
Yes. I informed my employer about the Canadian immigration request and submitted a written request through the company's Public Relations Officer (PRO). I continued trying to obtain the passport, but the deadline eventually passed.
Did you contact the Canadian immigration authorities about the problem?
At the time, I did not contact them early enough to explain what was happening. Looking back, this is one of the things I would have done differently.
Did Canada reject your application?
Based on the communication I received, the application was cancelled because I did not comply with the passport submission request within the required timeframe. I therefore do not describe my experience as a straightforward eligibility-based rejection.
Did you renew your employment contract?
No. After the experience, I decided not to renew my contract and eventually returned to Nigeria.
Would you apply for Canada again?
I may consider another opportunity in the future, but any future application would depend on my circumstances at the time and the requirements then in force.
What is the biggest lesson you learned?
The biggest lesson was that when an immigration deadline is at risk, you should not wait and hope the problem resolves itself. Communicate early, document everything, and seek appropriate professional or official assistance.
A Message to Nigerians Pursuing the Japa Dream
If you are currently planning to relocate abroad, whether to Canada, the UK, Australia, New Zealand, or another destination, I want you to learn from my experience.
Do not assume that everything will go according to plan.
Prepare for unexpected challenges.
Understand the documents you may need.
Pay attention to every immigration deadline.
Keep records of important communications.
Know where you can seek help if something goes wrong.
And most importantly, do not allow one temporary setback to destroy your long-term dreams.
One missed opportunity does not mean your journey is over.
Official Resources
Because immigration and employment rules can change, I advise our readers to always verify current requirements through official government sources.
Canada
Government of Canada / IRCC After You Apply for a Visitor Visa
This explains what happens after an application is submitted, including passport-submission instructions when an online application is approved.
Read the official IRCC Guidance
Government of Canada / IRCC — Find a Visa Application CentreVisa application centres (VACs) securely send passports to IRCC. You can only submit your passport to a VAC after IRCC requests it.
Find a Visa Application Centre
United Arab Emirates
UAE Government — Preparing to Work
This provides official information about employment-related passport, visa and residency requirements for expatriates.
Read the UAE Government guidance
UAE Ministry of Human Resources and Emiratisation (MoHRE)
MoHRE provides an official labour-complaint service for private-sector employees where there is a breach of contractual obligations.
Register Labour Complaint - Private Sector Employees
Disclaimer
This article is a personal account of my experience while working in Dubai and pursuing a Canadian immigration opportunity.
It is not legal, immigration, employment, or financial advice.
Immigration procedures, passport-submission requirements, employment regulations, and government policies can change over time. The experience described in this article should not be taken as an indication that another person's case will have the same outcome.
If you are facing a similar situation, verify current requirements directly with the relevant government authority and consider seeking advice from a qualified immigration or employment professional.
Final Thoughts
Losing my Canadian immigration opportunity remains one of the most painful experiences of my life.
What hurt the most was knowing how close I had come.
After approximately seven months of waiting, I had reached the passport-request stage.
I thought the next chapter of my life was about to begin.
Instead, I found myself dealing with a situation I had never expected: I could not access the passport I needed to complete the process.
This experience alone changed me.
It taught me to take immigration deadlines more seriously, communicate earlier, document important events, understand my options, and seek help when I do not know what to do.
I cannot change what happened.
I cannot go back and submit the passport before the deadline.
But I can learn from it.
My Canadian opportunity was lost, but my determination to build a better future did not disappear.
Sometimes life takes us in directions we never expected.
What matters is finding the strength to keep moving.
Call to Action
Have you ever lost a visa opportunity, scholarship, job offer, admission, or another life-changing opportunity because of circumstances beyond your control?
Share your experience in the comments below.
Your story could encourage someone who is currently facing disappointment and remind them that a setback does not have to be the end of the journey.
For more personal Japa stories, immigration guides, career advice, education opportunities, and practical information for Nigerians, follow NaijaHustle Hub Online and subscribe for future updates.
About NaijaHustle Hub Online
NaijaHustle Hub Online is an independent Nigerian publication focused on business, technology, entrepreneurship, education, travel, careers, and public policy. We publish well-researched, evidence-based articles that simplify complex issues and help readers make informed decisions.
- Get link
- X
- Other Apps
Popular Posts
WHY "JAPA" IS NOT FOR EVERYONE, THIS IS THE HIDDEN TRUTH ABOUT MOVING ABROAD IN 2026
- Get link
- X
- Other Apps
How to Write a Powerful Statement of Purpose (SOP)
- Get link
- X
- Other Apps
WHY MANY BUSINESSES ARE NOT SURVIVING IN NIGERIA
- Get link
- X
- Other Apps
Top 10 Reasons Visitor Visas Get Rejected and How to Avoid Them
- Get link
- X
- Other Apps
WHY NIGERIA FACES A HOUSING CRISIS: HOW CORRUPTION, INEQUALITY, AND POOR GOVERNANCE HAVE LEFT MILLIONS WITHOUT AFFORDABLE HOMES
- Get link
- X
- Other Apps







Comments
Post a Comment