Skip to main content

Featured

The Overstudy Trap: Why Studying Abroad Isn't Always the Fastest Route to Permanent Residency

Reading Time: 12 minutes. Last Updated: June 26, 2026. Last Reviewed: July 2026. W hy Studying Abroad Is Not Always the Smartest Route to Permanent Residency. For many Nigerians, the dream of relocating abroad, popularly known as "Japa," often begins with education. Every year, thousands of students and professionals apply for admission into colleges and universities across Canada, Australia, the United Kingdom, New Zealand, Germany, and other popular destinations for studies. Study Abroad Is Growing Rapidly Among Nigerians According to the UNESCO Institute for Statistics , tens of thousands of Nigerian students are enrolled in higher education institutions abroad, making Nigeria one of Africa's largest sources of international students. Popular destinations include Canada, the United Kingdom, the United States, Australia, Germany, and increasingly Ireland and New Zealand. This growing demand reflects the desire for better educational opportunities, stronger career pros...

THE LONG JOURNEY TO NEW ZEALAND: MY FIRST FLIGHT, THE ANTICIPATION, AND THE BEGINNING OF A NEW CHAPTER

First-time traveler preparing to board an international flight to New Zealand.

Reading Time: 12 minutes

Last Updated: June 26, 2026.

Table of Contents

  • Why New Zealand Feels So Far Away
  • My First Long-Haul Flight
  • Emotional Side of Relocation
  • Rise of the Japa Journey
  • Travel Tips
  • Life After Arrival
  • Final Thoughts
  • FAQs

For many Nigerians and Africans pursuing opportunities abroad, New Zealand often feels like the farthest destination anyone can imagine. The journey is very long, the flights down to New Zealand are exhausting, and the distance from most African countries can be overwhelming. Yet for thousands of migrant students and professionals, the anticipation of a better future makes every hour spent in transit worthwhile.

When I moved to New Zealand about nine years ago, I quickly learned why many people refer to it as “the end of the world.”

At the time, my journey felt like one of the longest adventures I had ever embarked upon. It wasn’t simply a flight; it was a life-changing transition. It was the beginning of a completely new chapter, filled with uncertainty, excitement, hope, and dreams of a future I had only imagined.

My trip started in Nigeria. I travelled from Abuja and then Kaduna before eventually making my way out of the country. From there, I landed in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia, one of Africa’s busiest aviation hubs. The journey continued to Chengdu, China, where I spent over six hours during a lengthy layover.

After what felt like an eternity of waiting, boarding, sleeping, waking up, and watching the world pass beneath the aircraft windows, our flight finally landed in Auckland, New Zealand.

At that moment, I realized that I had travelled farther from home than ever before.

Looking back today, that journey remains one of the most memorable experiences of my life.

Why New Zealand Feels So Far Away

Ask almost anyone planning to relocate to New Zealand from Africa, and one of the first concerns they will mention is the distance, though this is for those who have researched the distance from Africa or heard about this distance.

Unlike destinations such as the United Kingdom, Canada, or parts of Europe, New Zealand sits deep in the South Pacific Ocean. On a map, it appears isolated from much of the world.

For many first-time travelers, this geographical reality becomes very apparent when they begin searching for flights.

There are usually multiple flight segments.

There are often long layovers.

There may be several airport transfers.

And depending on your route, the journey can easily take between 24 and 48 hours.

For someone who has never travelled internationally before, that can feel intimidating.

I remember telling friends and family where I was moving, and many responded with comments like:

“That’s very far.”

“How many flights will you take?”

“Can you even drive there from Australia?”

The reality is that New Zealand is indeed distant from many parts of Africa, Europe, and South America.

However, distance is often a matter of perspective.

Because there are currently no direct commercial flights between Nigeria and New Zealand, most journeys involve two to four flights and typically take 24–48 hours, depending on the airline and transit time. 

My First Long-Haul Flight Experience

My first trip to New Zealand taught me several lessons, and my first lesson was patience, because long-haul travel is very different from domestic flights.

When you travel within Nigeria, many flights last less than two hours, and some last as little as 45 minutes.

International travel introduces an entirely different experience.

You spend hours checking in, passing through immigration, boarding aircraft, waiting at transit airports, and adjusting to changing time zones.

I vividly remember arriving in Addis Ababa.

The airport was bustling with travelers from different parts of Africa and beyond. It was my first taste of how connected the world truly is.

People were speaking different languages, passengers were heading to destinations I had only read about, some were returning home, and others, like me, were beginning new lives.

Then we arrived in China; the layover felt long, but it was also fascinating.

Seeing another country, another culture, and another airport environment reminded me how much of the world existed beyond my familiar surroundings.

By the time the final flight to Auckland was announced, exhaustion had set in.

Yet beneath the tiredness was a feeling of anticipation that overshadowed everything else.

I wasn’t just boarding another flight.

I was flying toward a completely new future and my final destination.

Airplane flying above the clouds during a long-haul journey to New Zealand.

The Emotional Side of Relocating Abroad

Many people focus on the logistics of migration.

They discuss visas.

They talk about job opportunities.

They analyze immigration policies.

They compare salaries.

These discussions are important, but they often overlook the emotional side of relocation.

The truth is that moving abroad is not merely a geographical change.

It is an emotional journey.

When I boarded that flight to New Zealand, I carried more than luggage.

I carried hopes.

I carried fears.

I carried expectations.

I carried uncertainty.

Questions that filled my mind

Would I adjust successfully?

Would I find community?

Would I enjoy life there?

Would I miss home too much?

Would my sacrifices be worth it?

These are questions many migrants silently ask themselves when they are moving to a new destination.

The excitement of relocation often exists alongside moments of anxiety and self-doubt, and it is perfectly normal.

Every major life transition comes with mixed emotions.

The Anticipation Makes the Journey Easier

One thing I have noticed over the years is that anticipation has a unique way of making difficult journeys feel manageable.

Recently, I had a conversation with someone from this community who had just completed the long journey to New Zealand.

Naturally, I asked how the flight went.

Their response immediately took me back nine years when I had a similar experience.

They simply said:

"Long, but filled with anticipation." I  smiled when I heard that, because that perfectly described my own experience.

The hours are long.

The airports are busy.

The layovers can be tiring.

Yet the anticipation of what lies ahead changes everything.

You are not merely traveling.

You are moving toward a dream.

You are moving toward an opportunity.

You are moving toward a future you have worked hard to create.

That anticipation becomes fuel.

It helps you endure the discomfort of the journey.

Is New Zealand Really the End of the World?

Over the years, I have come to realize something interesting.

While many people describe New Zealand as being at the end of the world, the reality is more nuanced.

The more I travel, the more I discover how connected New Zealand actually is.

From Auckland, there are direct flights to numerous international destinations.

Travelers can easily connect to Australia, the United States, Canada, Singapore, Hong Kong, Fiji, and many other countries.

What initially feels isolated eventually becomes surprisingly accessible, and your perspective changes immediately.

When you first arrive from Africa, New Zealand seems incredibly distant.

After living there for a while, you begin to see it as a gateway to the Pacific region and beyond; distance becomes relative, and what once felt impossibly far starts to feel like home.

Many Routes to New Zealand

One interesting aspect of traveling to New Zealand is the variety of routes available.

Many travelers from Africa pass through:

Qatar, United Arab Emirates, Singapore, China, Hong Kong, Malaysia, and Thailand

Each route offers you a unique experience.

Some travelers prioritize shorter travel times.

Others choose more affordable tickets.

Some prefer longer layovers that allow them to briefly explore transit cities; regardless of the route chosen, one thing remains consistent: reaching New Zealand usually requires commitment.

This is not a destination that most people accidentally end up in; those who come to New Zealand often do so with purpose.

Packed luggage, passport, and boarding pass ready for relocation to New Zealand.

The Rise of the Japa Journey

In recent years, the term “Japa” has become increasingly common among Africans and Nigerians.

Migration to New Zealand has increased significantly in recent years. Official immigration data shows the country welcomed around 236,200 migrant arrivals in the year ending October 2023, reflecting its continued appeal to students, skilled workers, and families.

Originally, the word "Japa" is a Yoruba word that means “to flee” or “to escape.” It has evolved into a popular expression describing migration abroad in search of better opportunities.

For many Nigerians, the Japa movement represents hope.

Hope for quality education.

Hope for career growth.

Hope for economic stability.

Hope for financial stability

Hope for a better future for their families.

New Zealand has become one of the destinations attracting skilled professionals, students, healthcare workers, engineers, tradespeople, and entrepreneurs.

According to census data, also shows that the Nigerian community in New Zealand is largely migrant-based, with 94.8% of Nigerians aged 30–64 born overseas, highlighting how migration continues to shape the community.

The country offers opportunities in various sectors while maintaining a reputation for safety, work-life balance, and high standards of living.

As a result, more Nigerians are undertaking the same long journey I took years ago, and every time I hear another success story, I feel genuinely happy because I understand the sacrifices involved and the preparation that it required.

And I understand the courage it takes to leave familiar surroundings behind for a new environment.

In the 2025/26 financial year, 103 first-time student visas were approved for Nigerian citizens by Immigration New Zealand. This was lower than the 140 approvals in 2024/25, but much higher than the 21 approvals in 2021/22, showing a strong recovery after the COVID-19 border restrictions.

 If you're considering relocating abroad, you may also enjoy these related articles: Why Nigerians Travel Abroad for Healthcare.

The Business of Poverty

How Corruption Affects Education

Digital Borders and the End of Visa Stamps

What First-Time Travelers Should Expect

If you are preparing for your first trip to New Zealand, several things are worth knowing.

1. The Journey Will Be Long

Prepare mentally for a lengthy travel experience that is usually exhausting.

Accepting this reality beforehand makes the trip much easier for you.

2. Stay Organized

Keep your important documents closer and accessible.

This includes:

Passport

Visa

Travel insurance

Boarding passes

Accommodation details

3. Dress Comfortably

Comfort becomes extremely important during long-haul travel.

Wear something you will be comfortable with. Loose-fitting clothing and comfortable shoes can make a significant difference.

Beautiful Auckland skyline representing the beginning of a new chapter in New Zealand.

4. Stay Hydrated

Aircraft cabins can be dehydrating.

Drink water regularly throughout the journey.

5. Be Patient

Delays and unexpected changes sometimes occur in lengthy travels.

Patience is one of the most valuable travel skills, and everyone coming this far must have it.

6. Focus on Your Destination

Whenever the journey feels exhausting, remember why you are traveling, and keep your goals in mind.

Life After Arrival

The flight may be long, but it is only the beginning of your journey in New Zealand.

Once you arrive in New Zealand, new challenges and opportunities await you.

You will learn new systems.

You will meet new people.

You will discover unfamiliar customs.

You will adapt to a different pace of life.

At first, everything may seem unfamiliar.

Over time, however, routines develop, friendships grow, and your confidence increases.

Eventually, what once felt foreign begins to feel normal.

For many migrants, this transformation is one of the most rewarding aspects of the experience.

Looking Back After Nine Years

Nine years later, I can confidently say that those long flights were worth it, not because every day was easy, not because every challenge disappeared.

But because the journey opened doors to experiences I might never have encountered if I didn't take the bold move.

It broadened my perspective, introduced me to people from diverse backgrounds, and allowed me to grow personally and professionally.

Most importantly, it reminded me that meaningful opportunities often require stepping outside our comfort zones.

The flight itself lasted only a couple of days, but the impact of that journey continues years later.

Traveler walking through an airport to begin a new life in New Zealand.

FINAL THOUGHTS 

Every year, thousands of people board flights that are bound for New Zealand.

Some are students.

Some are skilled workers.

Some are joining family members.

Others are pursuing entirely new beginnings.

Despite their different backgrounds, many share one common experience: the long journey.

The hours in transit may seem endless.

The airport lounges may become temporary homes.

The layovers may test your patience, yet behind every boarding pass is a story that encourages you to go harder.

A story of ambition, and a story of hope.

When I arrived in Auckland nine years ago, my flight was long, exhausting, and unforgettable.

Today, whenever I hear someone describe their own trip experience as “long but filled with anticipation,” I immediately understand what they mean.

Because sometimes the longest journeys lead to the most meaningful destinations.

And for many people beginning their New Zealand adventure, that journey is only the start of something extraordinary.

Looking back, the journey taught me that distance is temporary, but the opportunities I pursue can shape the rest of my life. Every long-haul flight begins with a decision to leave the familiar behind, and sometimes, that's where the greatest growth begins.

CTA

Are you planning to move to New Zealand?

Have you traveled to New Zealand or are you preparing for your first long-haul journey?

Share your experience or questions in the comments. Your story might encourage someone to take the same leap.

If you found this article helpful, share it with friends or family planning to relocate abroad.

FAQ

Is New Zealand really that far from Nigeria?

Yes. Depending on the airline and transit route, flights usually take between 24 and 48 hours.

How many flights do you take from Nigeria to New Zealand?

Most travelers take two to four flights with one or more layovers.

What is the best airline for traveling to New Zealand?

Many travelers use Qatar Airways, Emirates, Singapore Airlines, Ethiopian Airlines, or China Southern, depending on the cost and the route they want.

Is moving to New Zealand worth it?

For many migrants, the opportunities, safety, and work-life balance make the long journey worthwhile.

SOURCE

  • Immigration New Zealand
  • Auckland Airport
  • IATA Travel Centre
  • New Zealand Government travel information
  • About the Author

    NaijaHustle Hub Online publishes evidence-based articles on business, technology, careers, travel, education, and economic issues affecting Nigerians. Our goal is to simplify complex topics and provide practical insights that help readers make informed decisions.

    Comments